Monday, July 29, 2013

Grab and go?


OK - so don't judge me by the photo... it was taken in the office using my iPhone.  However, there has been quite a bit of talk around the Department of Internal Affairs about grab and go bags (yes, that's the job that pays the bills).  Grab and go bags... what to have, what about shoes, will there be a big quake etc.  So, here is what I have (FYI, I'm the Manager Development at the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management).

This stuff is mostly under my desk (some of the food is in my cupboard and is part of the lunch supply - which I keep topped up now and this helps with rotation too).  The only thing missing from the shot is my hard hat but as you can see, comfortable shoes, shorts, socks, jocks (hidden under the t-shirt), overalls, wet weather gear, gloves, torch, radio, panadol, first aid, dust mask, ear plugs, dehydrated towels, water (both the sipper and water container are full), toilet paper, nut bars (yum), light stick, protective glasses, whistle, chocolate (even yummier), big bag and back pack plus other useful bits and bobs.

I don't hump this stuff around with me (that would be paranoia to the extreme).  We have an emergency plan and we know what we're going to do.  It certainly helps if you've thought about it beforehand and you'll feel happier too knowing that you and your family are prepared.  Now that we've had a reminder, there are no excuses.

If we have a shake, make sure you're safe... drop, cover, hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment